Every season and every month, every week and almost every day in Sicily you can find things to do that you will remember for your lifetime.
Here at SicilyLife we wanted to list 10 of the unmissable places and things to do if you happen to be in the middle of the Mediterranean!
Here we go:
- Visit the Valley of the Temples; on the southern coast of Sicily lie the ruins of an ancient Greek colony once called Akragas – nowadays Agrigento – with their stunning temples dating more than 2500 years. It is considered to be the largest archeological area of the world!
- Take a walk in one of the historical markets of Catania or Palermo. With lots of things to do, the biggest cities of Sicily also offer the exciting opportunity of diving into local markets.
- Climb the three volcanoes of the region: Sicily has three active volcanoes! The biggest being Etna, lying just over Catania, the second most visited is Stromboli and the third is Lipari . You will be spoiled for choice!
- Eat. That’s all.
- Fall in love with one of the magic sunsets of the island.
- Walk through the baroque centre of Siracusa; the ancient greek town has been destroyed by a tremendous earthquake in 1693, but the rests of this ancient culture can still be seen in the columns that bear the roof of the central duomo.
- Dive into the Caribbean-like beaches of Favignana – one of the Egadi Islands at the western point of Sicily.
- Take a look at Ragusa Ibla by night, from one of the balconies of the historical centres.
- Visit the Cappella Palatina: the most precious treasure of Palermo. You will feel like floating in a golden cloud full of mosaics, paintings and sculptures. Can’t miss this one!
- Indulge in a wine tasting session with some of the best wines of the world.
Each of these unmissable things to do is connected to the other; you can taste a good wine while looking at the sunset on a terrazza in the Piazza Duomo of Siracusa, or you could enjoy an almond-milk granita from the top of an active volcano. You chose how to thrill yourself with Sicily!